Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Knowing When to Spar

Sparring is needed in all combat sports to excel at what your learning and putting it to the true test. But How do you know when your ready to spar ( Boxing, thai boxing, kickboxing SPECIFICALLY!)? Some coaches let students spar 5 months into training! personally I believe there needs to be a skill set before throwing some one into sparring " generally" a year or more not ALWAYS but for the majority. Before you Throw me to the wolfs please let me explain.

Ive been training in Boxing, Muay thai ,and other striking martial arts for more then 12 plus years. Im far from being the best striker out there or claiming to know all But, In what Ive seen sparring Can make and Break students from the art they love.12 years ago When going to PAMA martial arts I was spoiled with GREAT trainers and training methods! I begged to spar! and my Coach at the time giggled and said when you can jump rope for 3 mins fast and hit pads at a high pace with out getting winded well talk about it. So I honed MY skills with pride and with my parents approval I was off to the races! Prior to that I have had over a year plus training with , timing, strength,mental, and endurance drills to help me along the way and THEY did there JOB. Though nothing is as real as  sparring. My first time was quite an experience but didn't scare me off because I had the tools I needed

Control is key here If you and your training partner don't have control someones going to end up hurt or both! sparring should be done at NO MORE THEN 50% for folks who aren't fighting in competition. Being at a good school with trainers who care about you and your health are also important. having a Trainer watch the session helps to create a controlled atmosphere

lets fast forward to me at 19-20 years old at the boxing gym. I went in more then prepared guys where asking me if I had boxed before on an amature level. Don't get me wrong there where times I walked out of there a couple brain cells short but my past skilled helped. I knew spills and defenses and offenses these guys have never seen before ( not totting my own horn by any means).  When I asked  fellow team mates how long they had been boxing they said 5 or more years! I was baffled that a guy who has boxed for 5 plus years only defense to punches was Ball up!? sounds like bad direction from a trainer

Not the only time Ive seen this situation.  Ive sparred in some MMA gyms on the East coast and to my surprise Guys  with a BJJ background where sparring stand up  WITH NO stand up experience at all NONE! The school didn't even provide a striking program. Does this not sound absolutely  WACKY? its like sending a dentist to fix your plumbing problem!!


How do you spar? what are you sparing sessions like? How where you baptized to sparring was it a good experience or bad?

watch this video of controlled sparring below!!!!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NECL3JVIWZ0&feature=player_detailpage



No comments:

Post a Comment